POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IsoStones : Re: IsoStones Server Time
8 Aug 2024 14:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IsoStones
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 14 Sep 2005 11:00:00
Message: <web.43283a638195286505e02d50@news.povray.org>
"Nathan Kopp" <pov### [at] nkoppmailshellcom> wrote:
> I never knew that the standard stone textures could look so realistic!

Neither did I, Nathan! Trust me. :)

> I guess they were always used in the wrong context or at the wrong scale.

Well there's no excuse for using them at the wrong scale: it's mentioned in
the include file. :) Of course, we've all probably used them at weird
scales; I know I have. :) You can sort-of get away with it with a plain
granite or other simple fractal, but the complex multilayered textures seem
to have a proper scale associated with them.

> Apparantly you've used them as they were intended to be used.  Very nice!

More luck than true planning on my part, I must confess. I've only recently
started to use lights that fade & they really add to scene realism (thanks
Jaime).

Speaking of Jaime, since reading the LightSys docs I've been seriously
thinking of updating the stones.inc textures. They don't behave well in
radiosity scenes, due to ambient content, but what's worse, they use the
dreaded crand, so they make horrible flying pixels in animations.

These stone textures come from the bad old days, before macros, and probably
before pigment functions (sorry, my POV history is a little rusty at this
hour of the morning :) so I'm sure some interesting things can be done to
modernize these textures and make them more flexible.